Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Homemade calcium supplement and recipes

How is everybody today.We have been enjoying the beautifull weather and getting some yardwork done.We also went to the park and the kids ran off some energy.It has been nice to just have a family day.I was reading in a magazine and saw a recipe that looked really good and didn't take any fancy ingredients so I went and made it for dinner and it was delicious so I will post the recipe tonight.It is called moroccan chicken stew.Yesterday we went and visited my amish grandma and also met my sister's boyfriend for the first time.She has been living in Colorado for almost a year and is finally back home.It was so nice to see her again,and her guy seems like a really great person too.We'll get to know him better tomorrow as we will spend the day together.Two of my other sisters' children have come down with a miserable case of the chicken pox so I have been praying for them and offering advice but it always feels like I am not doing enough to ease their suffering.I always feel so bad when Isee young mothers go through these hardships,but I guess our trials make us stronger.I know I have learned a lot through mine,and now I can better relate to others.Hang in there girls!I als have another recipe I'd like to share for sugarless sugar cookies with a delicious frosting that has no sugar.Then I am going to post a recipe on making your own calcium supplement that breaks down much better than most.This is out of my school book so it is a legitimate nutritional recipe.Let's get started shall we
?T HE FIRST RECIPE IS THE MOROCCAN CHICKEN STEW
4 CARROTS SLICED,2 LG ONIONS DICED
1 WHOLE CHICKEN CUT UP AND SKINNED
1/2 CUP RAISINS,1/2 CUP CHOPPED APRICOTS[DRIED]
1 14OZ CAN CHICKEN BROTH,1/4 CUP TOMATO PASTE,2 TBSP FLOUR
2 TBSP LEMON JUICE,2 CLOVES GARLIC,1 1/2 TSP EACH CUMIN AND GINGER
1 TSP CINNAMON
IN A CROCKPOT PLACECARROTS AND ONIONS,SPRINKLE CHICKEN W/SALT AND PLACEIN COOKER,TOP WITH APRICOTS AND RAISINS
WHISK REST OF INGREDIENTS TOGETHER IN BOWL W/3/4 TSP BLCK PEPPER ,POUR ON CHICKEN,COOK ON HIGH FOR3 TO 4 HOURS,SERVE OVER BROWN RICE OR COUSCOUS,ALSO i used crushed pineapple instead of the apricots and it was good too
SUGARLESS HOLIDAY COOKIES
3/4 CUP BUTER SOFT
1/4 CUP AGAVE NECTAR,3/4 TSP VANILLA
1 AND 2/3 CUP FLOUR [PREFERABLY ORGANIC],PINCH SALT
USE BEATER TO BEAT BUTTER TILL FLUFFY ,ADD AGAVE AND VANILLA
GRADUALLY ADD FLOUR AND SALT TILL STIFF
WRAP AND REFRIGERATE,PREHEAT OVEN TO 325 DEGREES WHILE ROLLING OUT DOUGH,CUT IN SHAPES AND BAKE ABOUT 20 MIN
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
3/4 CUP HEAVY CREAM,1 CUP CREAM CHEESE ,1/4 CUP AGAVE NECTAR,1 TBSP VANILLA
WHIP CREAM TILL STIFF, IN A SEPERATE BOWL WHIP CREAM CHEESE TILL SMOOTH AND BLEND IN AGAVE AND VANILLA, FOLD IN WHIPPED CREAM ,SPREAD ON TOP OF COOLED COOKIES
LEMON EGG[THE ULTIMATE CALCIUM SUPPLEMENTATION]
CAREFULLY PLACE WHOLE CLEAN ,UNCOOKED,UNCRACKED EGGS IN A CLEAN WIDE-MOUTH GLASS JAR.COVER THE EGGS WITH FRESH SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE[IT HAS TO BE FRESH LEMONS OR IT WON'T WORK].COVER THE JAR LOOSELY AND PLACE IT IN THE REFRIGERATOR.A FEW TIMES A DAY,GENTLY,AGITATE THELIQUID IN THE JAR.AS THE CALCIUM FROM THE SHELLS IS LEACHED BY THE LEMON JUICEBUBBLES WILL APPEAR AROUND THE EGGS.AFTER ABOUT 48 HOURS,WHEN THE BUBBLING HAS STOPPED,CAREFULLY REMOVE THE EGGS FROM THE JAR.DON'T BREAK THE MEMBRANE.REPLACE THE LID BACK ON THE JAR AND SHAKE ,KEEP IN FRIDGE 1/2 TSP IS THE MAXIMUM DOSE TO TAKE DAILY FOR THIRTY DAYS,AFTER THAT IF YOU ARE EATING LOTS OF LEAFY GREENS YOU SHOULDN'T NEED A DAILY CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT.Well I hope you all enjoy these recipes and that you will find the journey to eating healthier isn't all that hard and it is certainly not boring.I eat much more creatively and a greater variety than I EVER DID BEFORE.God bless!

3 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

Those sound yummy! I'd really like to try the Moroccan Chicken Stew--I have one with chick peas that my kids love so I'm betting this would be a hit!

All my kids had the chicken pox (even the one who got the vax) in the winter; it was a few bad days but it was very quick. praying your nieces recover just as quickly!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I love your blog too! (It's great to meet other moms that are into healthy cooking!)

Grace Acres said...

Hey Sis, I thought I would let you know how much I appreciate all you do to help us with our ailing children. I am aiming to try the calcium thing.

katrina said...

Hey, I bet my hubby would love love these recipes. I want to thank you for all you do for my sick little kids. It's so wonderful to have you do all that you have done. I don't know what I would do without you. Thank you!!! Katrina