Search This Blog

Monday, August 4, 2008

homemade mouthwash,toothpaste,and more

Well, today has been a fun day of creating in my kitchen.I have been learning on how to make a lot of stuff myself,to save money and a lot healthier.Today I even made my own version of chloraseptic and it works great.My son had a sore throat and before we knew it had consumed half a bottle of chloraseptic.That is when I decided no more of these dangerous medicines in the house.So I came up with an alternative.I made a very rich clove and licorice root tea in distilled water and let it steep for an hour.Then pour it in to a spray bottle add a little vegetable glycerine to sweeten and that is all you need.It works really well for sore throats and is quite numbing,especially if kept in the fridge.I also found a recipe for toothpaste and the kids were amazed at how clean there were afterward.They weren't crazy about the taste but could tolerate it.I never buy mouthwash because of all the crap they put in them so was quite happy to find a simple way to make it and so inexpensive.Another recipe I am going to share is for a gluten free healthy candy like bar that is so good I have to limit myself and the kids want to eat it constantly.But it is meant for a treat,not a meal.Ireally love making my own things as it just makes living healthy so much more affordable.God does want us to take care of His temple so it is important that we try to do things as healthy as we can.T ake small consistent steps till those feel comfortable then take bigger ones.Soon it will all be second nature.I am finding out with the candida diet that I am on that the longer I do it the easier it is and I really enjoy eating this way.Anyway here are the recipes,
ANTIBACTERIAL MOUTHWASH
2cups distilled water,bring to a boil then pour over herbs[store like this overnight then pour off]
2tbsp green tea,2 tbsp,peppermint tea,2 tbsp parsley,1 tsp tincture of myrrh
REGULAR MOUTH WASH
2 cups distilled water,2 tbsp parsley 2bsp peppermint,1 tbsp thyme ,
you can also add essential oils or aloe vera juice and I added a little vegetable glycerine to sweeten make it the same manner as above
TOOTHPASTE
1/2 CUP BAKING SODA,2 TSP SEA SALT,3 TBSP VEGETABLE GLYCERINE ADD ESSENTIAL OIL OF MINT OR LEMON,OR WHATEVER YOU WOULD LIKE,I USED WINTERGREEN AND TEA TREE OIL IN MINE,MIX TOGETHER TO A PASTE,THIS WILL WHITEN YOUR TEETH AND FRESHEN YOUR BREATH.
CASHEW RICE CRISPY BARS
1 CUP CASHEWS GRIND IN FOOD PROCESSOR TILL A POWDER,
1/2 CUP UNSWEETENED BANANA CHIPS,1/2 CUP DRIED FRUIT,1/3 CUP RAW HONEY,1/2 CUP EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL[ADD TO CASHEWS AND PROCESS]
STIR IN 1/3 CUP FLAX MEAL 1/4 CUP VANILLA PROTEIN POWDER AND 1 TBSP PEANUT BUTTER,1/2 cup crushed rice crispies MIX ALL TOGETHERAND FLATTEN IN A PAN,CHILL,KEEP IN REFRIGERATOR AS THE COCONUT OIL WILL MELT AND THE BARS GET SOFT IF THERE NOT.T HE COCONUT OIL IS WHAT GIVES IT ADELICIOUS TEXTURE AND FLAVOR PLUS HEALTHY BRAIN FATS FOR GROWING KIDS.JUST MAKE SURE IT IS EXTRA VIRGIN OR IT COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS RATHER THAN HELP.I hope you enjoy these and live healthy even on a b udget.It can be done with a little extra time in the kitchen.God bless your night.

2 comments:

Grace Acres said...

I think you are way more ambitious than me. I love the new picture in your blog header.

katrina said...

I want to try to make these. we'll see if it happens. :)